AHMA Membership FAQs
- We are thinking about joining AHMA. Can you tell me about your member make up?
AHMA has two categories of membership:
- Any company headquartered in the United States and engaged in the manufacture/marketing of goods for the hardware/home improvement, lawn and garden or paint and decorating trade.
- Any individual, firm or corporation acting as a manufacturer’s representative for a member of AHMA
- Any publisher of trade publications in the hardware/home improvement, lawn and garden or paint and decorating industries.
- Any international firm or corporation engaged in the manufacture/marketing of products for the hardware/home improvement, lawn and garden or paint and decorating trade.
Because AHMA information is proprietary, we do not share privileged information about our membership with non-members.
- What are my member benefits?
AHMA provides a wide range of programs and services for member firms as well as the entire industry, including industry conferences, events and workshops; legislative representation in Washington; domestic and international marketing support; technology initiatives; cost-saving programs; targeted publications; networking opportunities; and many other industry-directed services.
AHMA has been playing a leadership role in the hardware/home improvement industry for more than one century, seeking ways to bring supply channel partners together to increase industry efficiencies.
For a detailed listing of member benefits please visit http://www.ahma.org/Index.asp?Page=Association/whyJoin.htm.
- What does AHMA do for me legislatively?
AHMA advises members of legislative and regulatory activities having an impact on the hardware industry and serves as a voice for the industry in presenting its views to governmental authorities. Leading the charge for AHMA and the industry, John S. Satagaj, JD, has served as AHMA’s legislative counsel in Washington, D.C. for over ten years.
- Your dues are a little steep for me; can you tell me how AHMA will really bring me value?
For a better understanding of the value that AHMA can bring to you and your company, please review our Member Benefits and Highlights at the following link, http://www.ahma.org/Index.asp?Page=Association/whyJoin.htm. We are sure that you will agree that your benefits will far exceed the cost of AHMA membership.
- Who is the primary contact and what are the responsibilities?
The primary contact is the point person for communications between your company and AHMA, including information about AHMA membership renewal. The primary contact also has permission to update all company profile and contact information via the AHMA website. Although each company contact has permission to update their individual contact record, only the primary contact has full access to their entire company profile.
- How many contacts can I have on my contact list?
Your membership is at the company level, so you may list as many contacts as you like. However, you will need to designate one primary contact.
- Why do you need all my contacts’ e-mail addresses?
One of your company’s primary member benefits is your weekly edition of AHMA’s The Hard Fax: Home Improvement Industry News. This weekly newsletter, with its timely mix of breaking news; stocks review and industry updates, is delivered to your contacts’ e-mail boxes every Wednesday morning.
- Is my company/personal information sold or given to any third parties?
Although AHMA will send important information about member benefits, programs and industry updates to your list of contacts, we will not rent or sell your fax or email address to third parties without your permission. If any of your contacts wish to opt-out of certain types of mailings or e-mails or select a preferred method of contact, they may visit http://www.ahma.org/OptOut or contact the membership department at MembershipDept@ahma.org or 847.605.1025.
- How does membership work if I am a division of a larger company?
Generally speaking, the membership of a parent company is shared with any of its divisions. All AHMA member benefits received by the parent company are transferred to the divisions. It is the responsibility of the parent company and/or the divisions to make their association known to AHMA.
- Will you send me a printed Membership Directory?
AHMA no longer prints a Membership Directory. If you are a member, you will receive a login and password that will allow you to access the Membership Directory via the Members Only log in section of the AHMA website.
- Will you send me a printed Rep/Factory Directory?
AHMA no longer prints a Rep/Factory Directory. If you are a member, you will receive a login and password that will allow you to access the Rep/Factory Directory via the Members Only log in area of the AHMA website.
- How much savings will I be entitled to in regard to AHMA sponsored events?
As a member of AHMA you can save anywhere from $200.00 – 800.00 on event registrations, depending on the event. Please visit the AHMA website for more details, www.ahma.org or call 847.605.1025.
- How do I update my company/personal profile on-line?
Please contact the membership department at MembershipDept@ahma.org or 847.605.1025. Please note, only your designated primary contact can change your company’s profile or other users' information. If you are not the primary contact, you have access to modify your individual contact information only.
- Do I need a login and password for members only areas of the website?
Yes, you will need to use your assigned login and password to access Members Only areas of the website. You can change your login and password once you have logged into update your profile. Please contact the membership department at MembershipDept@ahma.org or 847.605.1025.
- How do I obtain my login and password?
When your company became a member with AHMA, login and passwords were distributed to all contacts listed at that time. If you would like to be added to your company’s profile or have forgotten or lost your login and password, please contact the membership department at 847.605.1025 or MembershipDept@ahma.org.
- Can I change my login and password?
Yes, it is easy to change your AHMA login and password. Please contact the membership department at MembershipDept@ahma.org or 847.605.1025. Log in with your current login and password.
- Will I be listed in the membership directory?
Yes, if you are listed under your company’s profile, you will be listed in the directory. If you would prefer not to be viewed on the directory but wish to receive mailings and updates from AHMA, please contact the membership department at MembershipDept@ahma.org or 847.605.1025.
- What if I want certain contacts on my list for mailings and publications, but do not want them listed in the directory?
If you would like certain contacts on your list to continue receiving AHMA updates and mailing but you do not want them to appear on your directory listing, please contact the membership department at MembershipDept@ahma.org or 847.605.1025.
- Can I opt-out of certain mailings or e-mails?
Yes, you can opt-out of certain types of mailings or e-mails by updating your profile. Please visit http://www.ahma.org/OptOut or contact the membership department at MembershipDept@ahma.org or 847.605.1025.
- Can I select a preferred method of communication?
Yes, you can choose a preferred method of communication by updating your profile. Please visit http://www.ahma.org/OptOut or contact the membership department at MembershipDept@ahma.org or 847.605.1025.
- Who do I contact at AHMA to renew my membership? Will an invoice be sent?
You may contact AHMA’s membership department at any time to renew your membership at MembershipDept@ahma.org or 847.605.1025. Invoices and e-mail reminders regarding renewal are sent out to primary contacts beginning three months prior to the renewal date. Subsequent invoices are sent until payment is received.
- Can I renew on-line? What if I prefer to fax my information in?
Yes, you can renew on-line by visiting the Members Only section of the AHMA website at https://secure.ahma.org/renew/memrenew1.asp. You will need to enter your company’s member number and company name to gain access to this area. If you have forgotten your member number, it can be found on your most recent membership dues invoice, or you can contact our membership department MembershipDept@ahma.org or 847.605.1025. If you prefer to fax your membership renewal payment to AHMA, please send it to 847.605.1030.
- Can I join as a new member on-line? What about downloading an application?
Yes, you can begin the membership process on-line at http://www.ahma.org/Index.asp?Page=Association/application.htm. Make certain to choose the appropriate Member or Associate Member application. AHMA will review your company information and if you meet membership qualifications, we will finalize the process and notify you of your membership status. Shortly thereafter, all of your company contacts will receive their personal login and passwords for the Members Only areas of the AHMA website. You will also receive a New Member Kit in the mail.
If you choose to download the PDF version, please visit http://www.ahma.org/Index.asp?Page=Association/downloads.htm. Make certain to choose the appropriate Member or Associate Member application. You can mail or fax the application back to AHMA. AHMA will review your company information and if you meet membership qualifications, we will finalize the process and notify you of your membership status. Shortly thereafter, all of your company contacts will receive their personal login and passwords for the Members Only areas of the AHMA website. You will also receive a New Member Kit in the mail.
- Can I register for events on-line?
Yes, you can register for many AHMA sponsored events on-line. Please check the AHMA website often for updates on the Hardlines Technology Forum, AHMA / USA Pavilions, and more at www.ahma.org. Or call AHMA at 847.605.1025 for more details on any of our events.
- How much is the Bar Coding Guidelines book and how do I buy one?
New members receive one free copy of the Bar Code Guidelines book with their new member kit. Each subsequent copy is $50. For non-members, each copy of the Bar Code Guidelines is $150. To purchase a Bar Coding Guidelines book please visit the AHMA website at http://www.ahma.org/MembersOnly/bcbook.pdf to complete and fax the PDF purchase form to 847.605.1030. Or contact the membership department at MembershipDept@ahma.org or 847.605.1025.
- Can you give me specific information about bar coding procedures?
Although AHMA will be happy to arrange for your purchase of the Bar Coding Guidelines, we recommend that you contact Stratix Corporation at 800-883-8300 or GS1US at 937.435.3870 for specific bar coding techniques or information.
- Where can I find statistical information regarding certain products sold/manufactured, listing of top down retailers/manufacturers, etc., in the U.S. or internationally?
AHMA recommends either visiting the Vista Information website at www.vistainfoservices.com or calling 847.253.6063; or the Home Improvement Research Institute (HIRI) at www.hiri.org or calling 901.757.5865, for industry statistics.
- I have a new product that I have invented/manufactured, how does being a member of AHMA benefit me?
As an AHMA member, you will have privileged access to our Membership and Rep/Factory Directories. These tools will allow you inside access to many of the key players in the industry, including manufacturers and manufacturer’s representatives in the United States and globally.
- Can you put me in touch with someone to market/manufacture my specific product if I am not a member?
As a non-member, you do not have access to the AHMA Member or Rep/Factory Directories. We highly recommend that you consider membership to gain privileged access to key players in the industry. However, AHMA does offer some assistance to non-members via the Resources and Links area on our website, http://www.ahma.org/Index.asp?Page=Information/IndustryLinks.htm.
- Can you let me know how many manufacturer’s reps you have in particular manufacturing areas?
As an AHMA member, you will have privileged access to our Rep/Factory Directory. In which you will find contact information and product categories listed for all AHMA manufacturer’s representatives. It is AHMA’s policy not to share this information with non-members.
- Is it possible to place articles or news items in your publications or newsletters if you are a member or non-member? Who do we contact?
Yes, AHMA is willing to consider any industry news items from members as well as non-members. Posting of news items is completely at the discretion of AHMA. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.